So this year I turned 21 and thought I would look back at the things I learned so far.
- Be yourself: Life is too short to try and be someone else. Do what make you happy. Just be you. There will always be someone who disagrees with you or dislikes you. Just be you!
- Take time for yourself: Just take time away from everything and everyone. Switch off your phone and go for a massage or get your nails done.
- It’s okay to make mistakes: Making mistakes is one of the best ways to learn. Perfection is overrated.
- Cats are the best pets to have: They love you no matter what. Studies have shown that people with cats live longer… Just saying.
- Going out is not a priority: I don’t know if I’m just getting old, but I enjoy having a relaxed night with friends at home just as much, if not more, than a nigh out.
- No one really knows what they are doing: Life is complicated. Just go with your gut.
- It’s okay to cry: Just cry. You will most probably feel better afterwards. It is also alright to eat chocolate in these situations. Chocolate understands.
- Call for help: If you are unsure about anything you can always call your mom or dad. There’s always someone you can phone who will help you. Just don’t be afraid to ask.
- Get rid of negative people in your life: You don’t need people constantly bringing you down. It’s not worth it.
- Don’t drink bad coffee: It’s not worth it. Coffee is an essential part of life. It is necessary to properly adult.
- Never look up health symptoms or illness on the internet: A stomach cramp will be diagnosed as Ebola or something and you will freak out. It’s not worth it.
- You are allowed to change your mind: Nothing is set in stone. Change your mind as often as you like, as you long as it makes you HAPPY.
- Never stop dreaming: You’re never too old to dream big.
- It’s just a bad day, not a bad life: Just put on some yoga pants, throw your hair into a bun, pour yourself a glass of wine and relax.
- Appreciate the small things in life: Big romantic gesture is great; I mean who doesn’t love a bouquet of roses or a box of chocolates. But the truth is the roses will die and the chocolates will disappear. It’s the small things that really matters. The things that often go unnoticed.
- Never go to bed angry: You will never get a good night’s rest if you go to bed angry. Remember Tyra Banks said the best product in your make up bag is a good night’s sleep.
- University is not just about going to classes: You will be surprised how much you can learn about people and life outside the classroom. Just be open to change, meet new people and experience new things. Personal experience is just as valuable as knowledge in a textbook.
- Get a hobby, something that’s interesting and makes you feel alive: It’s easy for life just to pass you buy, take time out of your week or month to do something new and exciting.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated: Everyone has their own problems and things they are going through. No one can completely understand what another person is going through. Everyone experiences things differently. So treat others the way you would like them to treat you. It won’t cost you a thing.
- Do not dwell on the past: The past is the past. There is nothing you can do to change it. Do not waste precious time dwelling in the past. Make it a learning experience.
- Love yourself: You are amazing. You are one in a million. There is no one else like you. Do not let anyone bring you down or tell you, you are not good enough.
These are just a few things I learned in the past 21 years. Believe me when I say I have a lot more to learn. And strangely I cannot wait… Let me know in the comments down below what you have learned. I love reading other people’s advice.