I was 16 -years- old the first time I tried to fake tan. We had a Valentines Ball at the school and I was determined to look tanned and toned. Needless to say it was an utter disaster. I ended up with and orange blotchy tan and embarrassed beyond belief (Thanks for the reminder Facebook)
So when I was browsing the isle of our local drug store and saw Caribbean Tan, I just had to try again. I’ve been using it for a month now and though I would share my 8 tips:
- Exfoliate before the time: This will remove all the dead skin cells and create a smooth surface on the skin for the tan to be applied to. Try to steer clear of exfoliating products that contain too much oils as these can create a barrier on the skin which will make the tan blotchy.
- Shave your legs: Make sure you’ve removed all the desired body hair at least 24 hours prior to tanning. This will give the skin time to calm down and ensure any the cuts will have time to heal.
- Moisturize your body: Make sure your body is moisturize before applying the fake tan. Pay special attention to your knees, elbows and hands or any dry areas.
- Use cold water: If you’re going to shower before applying your tan make sure to rinse off with cold water. This will allow your pores to shrink and stop the tan from blocking your pores.
- Wear dark clothes: Do not wear your favourite white shirt after tanning! Believe me this is not a good idea. The tan takes time to develop and it can transfer to your clothes, so it’s best to wear something dark.
- Application: Use a mitt! Pump some product onto your mitt and apply in circular motions working from your feet up.
- Splurge: Make sure you buy the right product and colour. Remember the are different types of self tanners out there. Do some research and make sure you pick the right one.
- Take care of your tan: Try to use gentle cleansers to make sure it does not scrub the tan away. Make sure to moisturize everyday and stay away from oily products.
Personally I love the Caribbean Tan mousse. It’s easy to use and I do not turn out orange. It is also super affordable and cruelty free.
I am not a professional so these are just tips I’ve used to make sure I look a bit more tanned. If you have any tips or trick leave them in the comments below. I always love trying something new.